Saturday, February 16, 2013

Shimano VS. Sram // For me Sram it is! Again!

The decision time is here I need to say...Shimano VS. Sram...Sram VS. Shimano... Everyone prefers one for whatever reason but the truth is: they are both fantastic in my opinion.

I've started mountain biking with Shimano gears because there wasn't any other good and reliable option back then. They were fine, worked very well without any hassle. In fact I loved them because they were easy to use and were easy to replace, since the Shimano parts were available all the time. Everybody used Shimano and it was the No.1 thing to have on the bike! 

Year after year I was a happy Shimano fan until an unfortunate crash that left me with torn ligament in my right thumb. Was slow and problematic recovery but when it got healed and I managed to get back on the bike I needed to do a major change to my bike...

The only solution was to get the Sram X.0 GripShift shifters fitted and obviously it ment to transfer the gears from Shimano to Sram. This was the only shifter that was operating without having the riders to use their thumb to change gears. So, I've started to use Sram gears and I have to say I simply loved them! The 1:1 gear cable pulling ratio was really good, it has provided easy adjsutment and the gears performed very well, even in crazy weather conditions. I was using them for about 6 years non-stop and I was one of the "few" who preferred Sram against Shimano. 

Them I got a new bike back in the beginning of 2010. The bike was kitted out with Shimano gears and I just couldn't invest more money to have them changed to Sram. So I sticked to Shimano for 3 more years and ended up having XTR gear system. Now, obviously it works like a dream but it's still doesn't change that fact that I need to use my thumb a lot. In the summer time it's not that bad but in the winter time when it's cold and wet things aren't easy. Got away with it for 3 years but now I just got to the point when I needed to make a decision: give up on Shimano again and start using Sram gears again.

The thumb has "healed" but it will never be as good as it was and since it is a 10 years old injury I need to be careful with it. The GripShift gives me such a nice and easy way to change gears on the bike that is a true relief. So it is time to change! 

The mission to pick up parts begins today! Hopefully I'll find everything nice & quick! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment