Saturday, April 7, 2012

Kilmashogue climb x 9 times in a row // 2012 goal is done!


I just got back home not long ago from the Kilmashogue Lane where I got one of my special projects done. The plan was there for a while and I had the details worked out as well long ago but the real inspiration was the last year's National Hillclimb Championship. So why not to try and see my climbing limits, hah?

Luckily I picked a nice and bright day for attempt but after all the bad weather just a couple of days ago (snow, hailstones and the rest...) I was honestly worried about the sudden change of weather. I decided to drive out instead of ride my bike there 'cause I needed everything (drink & food, dry clothing) easly accessable. So, after a quick prep I was ready to go!

All ready to go


Let's get the ball rollin'! :)

The plan was to ride nicely and set a constant pace during the climb. So, after I settled into a comfortable pace I started to get the climb done one after another. The first 4 times it was absolutely ok, didn't have any problems at all. But during the 5th, 6th, and 7th time I started to feel pain and tiredness from different parts of my body (lower back, shoulders, arms, legs). By the time I got up to the top the 8th time, it was pretty much obvious to me: I can get it done one more time, but that's about it. So I went for it one more time and after that my body and my head gave it up pretty much in the same time. My lower back was possibly the most critical but I was sore everywhere else too...

The faithful Madone 4.5

But hey, it's done! I completed the Kilmashogue Lane tarmac road climb (between the M50 bridge and the top of the tarmac road) 9 times in a row. Happy days! :)

Map & elevation graph
Details of today's challenge:

Lenght of each climb: 2.58 km
Number of climbs: 9
Total distance: 46.59 km
Total time: 2 hours 42 minutes
Total elevation gain: 2079 m 
Avarage speed: 17,2 km/h
Calories burned: 2033 cal



So, the special goal that I've set for myself for 2012 is done and dusted! I'm very tired and sore but in the main time I'm happy to know I've done what was planned. So, the number to beat is 9 on this brutal climb, next time I'll try to push out the limits a bit more and get a double digit number written on that flat stone. When that next time would be? Don't even ask me! It wont be any time soon, that's for sure!!! :)

Big thank you to John Clarke from ThinkBike for the set of wheels for the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment